Our History

While officially ‘founded’ in 1928 the Heathcote Cricket Club is proud that it can trace its active involvement in competitive cricket back to the 1860s. In February 2014 we held a match to commemorate the 150th anniversary of a game played between a Heathcote Valley Cricket Club eleven and an eleven from the Albion Cricket Club in February 1864.

For the first fifty years or so, the club was fairly small, usually fielding two teams, and the facilities consisted of a ‘hut’, which provided a changing room. In 1978 this hut was demolished and a new Community Centre facility was built on the site. The club was allocated a changing room at the end of this new building to compensate for the loss of the ‘hut’. The 1980s saw considerable growth in the club, both on and off the field. We were now regularly fielding five or six teams, and through this decade the single changing room was progressively added on to, until by 1990 we had a large clubrooms and bar area, changing room showers, internal toilets and a kitchen.

2008 saw another leap forward in our facilities. We were able to annex an adjacent unused scout den which allowed us to create a second changing room, a new entrance foyer, and an accessible toilet.

In February 2011 the epicentre of a significant earthquake was located almost directly below the club. Thankfully, most of the new addition survived the earthquake and subsequent aftershocks, but unfortunately most of the nineteen eighties additions, did not. This resulted in a major fund raising effort to rebuild the clubrooms. This re-build was completed in September 2013. We now have a two storey clubrooms with a viewing balcony, resplendent with an electronic scoreboard donated by our Club Patron, Dave Collier.